Advertisers’ apps are placed on alternate APK app stores, without the approval of advertisers. Malicious code is embedded along with the app which result in malware e.g. shortens a phone’s battery, slows down handsets and uses data bandwidth by increasing background data activity, displays bogus ads in the app, and in some cases results in information theft from the users, thus posing a major threat to the brand value of the app.
Example of malicious code injection
- Copycat - ad malware attack from last year, infected over 14 million Android devices
- Cyber attackers high jacked apps, repackaged them with the malware and allowed them to be downloaded from third-party app stores.
- First, the adware rooted the user’s device, giving the attackers full control of the device, and leaving users defenceless.
- Next, the adware injected code into the app launching process. Attackers were able to receive attribution, for fraudulently installing apps and by substituting the real referrer’s ID with their own.
- Moreover, the adware displayed fraudulent ads while hiding their origin, making it difficult for users to understand what’s causing the ads to pop-up on their screens.
- CopyCat also installed fraudulent apps directly to the device, using a separate module.
- These activities generated large amounts of profits for the creators of CopyCat.
Mfilterit provides two level of protection from this kind of fraud.
Firstly, its uses proprietary algorithms & advanced tools to encrypt the apk, so that it cannot be decompiled. Each download is individually tracked and in case someone tries to modify the app, the tool provides an option to remotely kill the installation as well.
Secondly, under App-store tracking service Mfilterit’s BOT scans more than 30 Alternate App Stores for advertisers’ apps. The APK files are decompiled from respective alternative app store and compared with the original files on the Google Play store. Any instance of additional malware code is flagged off to advertiser. We provide a wide coverage of your apps via alternate app stores, and help in improvement of your organic traffic and reach to customers.